Pull apart muffins are the perfect when you need to have a delicious breakfast on the go. These muffins are so light and airy but still chocked full of flavor. Filled with crispy bacon, cheese and eggs, it’s everything you need for a healthy nutritious breakfast in one bite. If you like portable breakfast ideas also try these Starbucks turkey bacon sandwich, egg muffins and french toast muffins.
This post may contain affiliate links in which I receive a small commission.
I love make ahead anything, hello…that’s why I’ve dedicated my blog to many of recipes that can easily be meal prepped. I especially love breakfasts that can be made ahead as it helps cut down on the chaos in the mornings. These muffins were inspired by biscuit egg sandwiches my dad used to make me and my sisters growing up. They were so good that every Saturday we would beg him to make those sandwiches. They were filled with bacon, cheese and the most perfectly cooked scrambled eggs. I decided to replicate that with these pull apart muffins and have all of my main nutrition components in one bite.
WHAT DO PULL APART MUFFINS TASTE LIKE
Typically pull-apart muffins that I’ve seen have been on the sweeter side made more like a churro and topped with a cinnamon sugar mixture or brown sugar. Overall I’m more of a savory girl and love deep, rich flavors. This one does not disappoint with the smoky flavor from the bacon, the slightly salty flavor from the cheese and the eggs add additional protein. That makes this meal so yummy that it will be one that will be both husband and toddler approved.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR SAVORY BREAKFAST MUFFINS
The ingredients you will need are all of your typical breakfast foods. As always, you can make substitutions to suit your particular taste buds. However for this recipe you will need:
- Biscuit Dough – I opted for Annie’s organic flaky biscuit dough
- Bacon – I did spring for regular Applegate bacon but turkey bacon works well too
- Shredded cheese – you can choose your flavor however I chose monetary jack cheese
- Eggs – Can also sub egg whites
- Chives – Completely optional but does add more flavor to the muffin
Those are the main ingredients along with some everyday spices from the pantry.
HOW TO MAKE PULL APART BREAKFAST MUFFINS
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Take out your store bought biscuit dough and on a cutting board, cut each individual biscuit into four sections (or equal size pieces) using a sharp knife. Place in a large bowl and set aside. In a non-stick skillet heat to medium heat and cook your bacon until crispy. Once done, remove from skillet and set on a paper towel to allow to drain. In a small bowl crack and whisk eggs, set aside.
Crumble the bacon into the bowl with the biscuit dough, add the eggs, cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.
Using a 6-cup muffin tins, spray with non-stick spray. Scoop out the dough mixture and place in the muffin cups. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until tops of muffins are golden brown and the biscuits are cooked through. Be sure to check the muffins at the halfway point to ensure they are cooking evenly.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool or come to room temperature. You can sprinkle the tops of each muffin with additional green onions and parsley if desired.
VARIATIONS TO TRY
There are many variations you can try making using this method. You can vary the ingredients by using turkey sausage instead of bacon or trying a different flavor cheese. You can also make pizza muffins by using traditional pizza toppings like pepperoni, green pepper, and pizza sauce and make these a great afternoon snack.
Alternatively if you don’t have a muffin tin, you can also make these delicious muffins into more of a traditional monkey bread by baking in a bundt pan. Still using the same cooking process, instead of scooping the dough mixture into muffin tin, simply scoop into the bundt pan and bake. Bake time will remain the same, however still ensure to check during the baking process.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER MUFFINS
Storage for these muffins is easy. First ensure they are room temperature and have cooled completely. Next place them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge. If you don’t have an airtight container, placing them in a large ziplock bag will work too. These should keep in the fridge for about 4 days.
If you make these pull apart muffins or any of my easy recipes, please leave a comment below! Also, feel free to connect with me on my social platforms as I share more of my healthy recipes, fitness workouts and mom life! Give a follow at: Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest!
Pull Apart Muffins
- 1 Muffin Tin
- 1 can Biscuit Dough
- 3 Eggs
- 3 slices Bacon
- 1/2 cup Cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp Chives diced
- Take out your store bought biscuit dough and on a cutting board, cut each individual biscuit into four sections (or equal size pieces) using a sharp knife.
- Place biscuit dough in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet heat to medium heat and cook your bacon until crispy. Once done, remove from skillet and set on a paper towel to allow to drain.
- While bacon is cooking, in a small bowl, whisk the eggs and set aside.
- Crumble the bacon into the bowl with the biscuit dough, add the eggs, cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Using a muffin tin, spray with non-stick spray. Scoop out the dough mixture and place in the muffin cups. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until tops of muffins are golden brown and the biscuits are cooked through.
- Be sure to check the muffins at the halfway point to ensure they aren't cooking evenly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool or come to room temperature. You can sprinkle the tops of each muffin with some green onions and parsley if desired.