Spice up your traditional turkey burger and make this mouthwatering BBQ turkey burger topped with caramelized onions, mushrooms and swiss cheese. If you love burgers, you can also try this low carb backyard burger salad too!
*Products in this post were gifted and may contain affiliate links which I will receive a small commission.
Everyone loves a good turkey burger especially when trying to eat lighter. Instead of a traditional turkey burger, we’re mixing things up a bit. This BBQ turkey burger is seasoned with Rufus Teague steak seasoning and BBQ sauce, but the toppings are where it’s at. Topped with caramelized onions, mushrooms and a thin slice of swiss cheese, this hits all the right taste buds.
IS THIS BBQ TURKEY BURGER HEALTHY?
Yes! You can indulge in one (or 2) and still come in under a traditional burger calories and macro count. What makes this BBQ turkey burger healthier is by using lean ground meat as the base. I chose to use ground turkey that is 93/7. That means it contains 7 grams of fat per serving. Swapping the bun for a whole wheat or whole grain bun also helps cut some additional calories.
WHAT TOPPINGS CAN I USE FOR BBQ TURKEY BURGER?
Really any toppings you would like on your burger. I chose onions, mushrooms and swiss cheese, which some consider a “classic” combination. Instead of raw onions, I did a quick caramelization on the onions to help deepen and bring out the sweetness of the onions. Caramelizing the mushrooms adds a bit of earthiness which pairs nicely with the ground turkey and takes on a beefy flavor. Lastly adding a thin slice of swiss cheese adds a bit of tang to round out the flavors.
Additional toppings you can use are:
- Turkey bacon (or regular bacon)
- Grilled tomatoes
- Wilted spinach
- Fried egg
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A GRILL
While I recommend grilling these burgers because it adds an additional layer of smokiness, it’s not required. If you don’t have a grill on hand, an alternative is to cook these indoors on the stovetop. I’d recommend cooking on either an indoor griddle pan or in a cast iron skillet. I love cooking my meats in a cast iron skillet because it brings a nice crust and sear to the meat.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH THE BBQ TURKEY BURGER?
There are a few different sides you can choose from to serve with your bbq turkey burger. Here are a few suggestions:
- Sweet potato fries or tots
- Blue corn tortilla chips
- Side salad
- Sliced cucumbers and carrots
Or if you’re hosting a party, you can set out all of these sides and allow your guests to choose their favorites to pair with this delicious burger.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE RUFUS TEAGUE PRODUCTS?
That’s totally fine! I was gifted these products and in using them, became a fan of the brand. However, regular steak seasoning can be substituted. Or traditional spices can be used such as pepper, paprika, chili powder, onion and garlic powder. You can also swap the bbq sauce for any brand and flavor you currently have on hand.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ TURKEY BURGERS
These burgers come together really quickly and the ingredients couldn’t be simpler.
First you will want to preheat your grill to 350 – 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine your ground turkey, seasonings, and ¼ cup bbq sauce and mix thoroughly. Score your meat into four even sections and form your patties, set aside until your grill is ready.
Once the grill is ready, grill your burgers on both sides for 7 – 8 minutes or until the patties are cooked through.
Preheat a nonstick skillet to medium heat and add some extra virgin olive oil. Once heated, add the sliced onions and cook until starting to wilt, then add your sliced mushrooms. You can choose to season the onions and mushrooms with salt and pepper. Once the mixture has started to brown, cook for another 5 – 7 minutes. Once caramelized, add your sliced swiss cheese on top to begin melting.
Lay out your whole wheat buns and toast either in a toaster or oven if desired.
Now you are ready to assemble your burgers. On the bottom side of the bun, add about 1 tbsp of bbq sauce, next place your turkey burger on top. Place your onion, mushroom mixture on top of the patty and drizzle with an additional Tsp of bbq sauce.
BBQ Turkey Burger
BBQ Turkey Burger
- 1 lb Lean ground turkey
- 1.5 tbsp Rufus Teague steak seasoning
- 1/4 cup Rufus Teague BBQ sauce
BBQ Turkey Burger Toppings
- 1 small Yellow onion
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
BBQ Turkey Burgers
- Pre heat your grill to 375 – 400 degrees
- In a bowl, add your ground turkey plus your steak seasoning. Mix thoroughly
- Once your ground turkey is mixed, separate into 4 sections and form your burger patties
- Spray your grill with spray oil and place your burger patties on the grill
- Grill on both sides for about 7 – 8 minutes or until burgers are cooked through
BBQ Turkey Burger toppings
- Pre heat a skillet to medium heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil
- Slice your onions and mushrooms so they are all about the same size and add to the pan
- Slowly caramelize your onions and mushrooms until they are golden brown. Optional, you can season with salt and pepper if you prefer
- Once your onions and mushrooms are caramelized, top with your sliced swiss cheese until it begins to melt
- Remove from pan
Building BBQ Turkey Burgers
- Remove one of your buns and toast your buns (if desired)
- Add some of the BBQ sauce to one side of the bun
- Place your turkey patty on the bun and top with the onion, mushroom, swiss cheese mixture
- Add an additional squirt of BBQ sauce and top with the other side of the bun