Kodiak waffles are one of my favorite breakfasts to make simply because they are so easy to pull together. Offering 14g of protein per serving, these Kodiak protein waffles make for one of the healthier pre-mix alternatives. If you like tasty brunch options you may also like these low carb chicken and waffles or these lemon blueberry pancakes.
Sometimes I like to spoil my family and take these Kodiak waffles just up a notch (or three) by making a toppings bar for their waffles. These toppings make the waffles feel extra fancy and could easily belong on any brunch menu.
WHY KODIAK PROTEIN WAFFLES
I’ll let you in on a little secret, I’ve loved the brand Kodiak cakes since I saw them on SharkTank in 2016. I was so intrigued when I saw their pitch because I had never heard of a protein pancake mix. While I’ve always loved pancakes, I wasn’t sure how I could incorporate them into my healthy lifestyle. With their pre-mixes that contain 14g of protein per serving and complete with whole grains, I knew I had to try them. Once I did, and realized how delicious they were…well the rest is history as they say. You can learn more about their story here.
TOPPINGS FOR KODIAK WAFFLES
I love to take something that would normally be considered plain and turn them into something just a little special. The easiest way to achieve that is by making a variety of toppings to go with these protein waffles.
I made three different topping choices:
- Caramelized banana & pecan
- Strawberry compote
- Peanut butter & chocolate chip
Caramelized Banana & pecan
Did you know that when you pan fry bananas they caramelize and get even sweeter? I used a small non-stick skillet and place a bit of extra virgin olive oil in the pan. I added my sliced bananas, sugar in the raw and a drizzle of honey to caramelize the bananas. Once almost done, I tossed in the pecans to slightly roast them and bring out the nutty flavor
Strawberry compote is super simple to make. Gather some fresh strawberries, water, sugar and a tad of lemon juice. Chop your strawberries and add them to a small saucepan, add your water, sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a bubble, then reduce heat and let simmer until the strawberries break down. Remove from heat and set aside to allow to thicken.
Peanut Butter chocolate chip
This one is so easy to make. Take your favorite peanut butter and place it in a microwave safe container. Heat the peanut butter until it runs smooth, add in your chocolate chips and stir to combine.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THESE PROTEIN WAFFLES
These waffles would make the perfect main dish for any brunch you may be hosting. Going with that, you have quite a few options of what you can serve with these build your own waffles.
A few options to consider:
- Scrambled soft eggs
- Turkey bacon
- Turkey sausage
- Sweet potato hash
- Fruit platter
Guaranteed if you served this spread to your guests, they will leave with full, happy bellies.
Kodiak Waffles Breakfast Bar
- waffle maker
- 1 cup Kodiak Buttermilk Waffle mix
- 3/4 cup Almond milk
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Banana Pecan Topping
- 1 large Banana
- 2 tbsp Pecans
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Raw sugar
- 1/2 cup Sliced strawberries
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1 wedge Fresh lemon squeezed
Peanut Butter Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Peanut butter
- 2 tbsp Chocolate chips
Waffles – Cook to package directions
- Pre heat waffle maker
- Gather all ingredients for waffles and stir throughly
- Once mixed, pour batter in waffle maker and cook until golden brown and crispy on the outside
Banana Pecan Topping
- PreHeat small nonstick skillet to medium heat and add extra virgin olive oil
- Slice banana into small discs
- Add bananas to the pan along with honey and raw sugar
- Once bananas are caramelized on one side, flip over and brown the other side
- Add pecans to the pan and lightly toast
- PreHeat nonstick saucepan to low medium heat
- Add strawberries, water and lemon juice to the skillet
- Let simmer until strawberries begin to breakdown
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
- In a microwave safe dish, add the peanut butter
- Heat peanut butter in 30 second increments until peanut butter is melted and smooth
- Once melted, add the chocolate chips and stir to combine