This recipe for how to make crispy oven breakfast potatoes will quickly become a family favorite. They are perfectly crispy on the outside with a bit of softness on the inside. Seasoned with some simple ingredients, they are the perfect complement to your favorite breakfast foods. If you need more healthy breakfast recipes, you can also try my meal prep egg white muffins, Starbucks turkey bacon sandwich or this healthy high protein quiche.
This link may contain affiliate links in which I receive a small commission.
Don’t let the recipe title fool you, while I often make these crispy breakfast potatoes for breakfast, they are the perfect side dish for any main meal. They also make a great brunch dish too. I love making these as they are so versatile and can be used in other meals like breakfast burritos as well.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CRISPY BREAKFAST POTATOES
Ingredients for these easy breakfast potatoes are really straightforward. First you will need your potato of choice. I used small red potatoes for this dish. Of course there are a variety of potatoes you can choose from that will also work very well for crispy oven breakfast potatoes. Your potato plus some simple seasonings, mostly all pantry staples, will have you eating these homemade breakfast potatoes in no time.
- Red potatoes – these have a higher nutritional content than regular russet potatoes
- Black pepper – adds just a little bit of heat
- Paprika – mild and sweet and adds a bright color
- Cayenne pepper – a little goes a long way in the heat department. If you want them spicier, feel free to use more of this spice.
- Garlic powder – adds a bit of savoriness to the potatoes
- Onion powder – brings a deep onion flavor
- Salt – we reserve the salt for after they finish roasting so the salt doesn’t draw out the water in the potatoes
BEST POTATOES FOR CRISPY POTATOES
There are several options of potatoes you can use for these home fries. While I used red potatoes for this recipe, some other potato options with similar nutritional content are:
- Yukon gold potatoes – these potatoes have a slightly sweet and buttery flavor
- Sweet potatoes – have a natural sweetness that becomes more pronounced when cooked
- Japanese sweet potato – have a subtly sweet and nutty flavor
Whatever option of potato you choose, it’s sure to be a winner for this crispy breakfast potatoes recipe.
HOW TO MAKE HOME FRIES
Full instructions and measurements in the recipe card below.
First, pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
Next, dice your potatoes into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl, measure out all of the seasonings and add 2 – 3 tbsp of olive oil to make a rub. Pour this mixture over the potatoes and mix throughly to ensure all of the potatoes are coated. On a large baking sheet, place potatoes into a single layer. This will ensure the potatoes get a crispy exterior during the cooking process.
Cook the diced potatoes for approximately 25 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and have a crispy bottom. Cook time will depend on how small the potatoes are diced. Once done, remove from the oven and season with salt to your taste.
Allow to cool to room temperature.
GREAT ADDITIONS TO BEST BREAKFAST POTATOES
There are some great additions you can add to this recipe to add some additional flavor and texture. A few add-ins to consider are:
- Bell peppers – chop and dice bell peppers and cook them in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss with the potatoes once they are done cooking
- Crispy bacon – pan fry bacon in a skillet and allow to cool and drain on paper towel. Chop into small pieces and mix with the potatoes when removed from the oven
- Fresh herbs – gather a mix of rosemary, thyme and parsley and give it a rough chop. Sprinkle on top of the potatoes for a bright garnish.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER POTATOES
Storing leftovers are a breeze. Once the potatoes have completely cooled, place in an airtight container. These will keep in the fridge for about 5 days. Note that the best way to reheat these to maintain the crispy texture would be either placing them in the oven or an air fryer for about 3 – 5 minutes.
If you make this crispy oven breakfast potato recipe, feel free to leave me a comment down below. Let’s stay in touch! Feel free to follow me on my social media as I share more healthy recipes, fitness workouts and motherhood. Give a follow at: Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest!
Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 1 lb Red Potatoes Diced
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- First, pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Next, dice your potatoes into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, measure out all of the seasonings and add 2 – 3 tbsp of olive oil to make a rub.
- Pour the season mixture over the potatoes and mix throughly to ensure all of the potatoes are coated.
- On a large baking sheet, place potatoes into a single layer. This will ensure the potatoes get a crispy exterior during the cooking process.
- Cook the diced potatoes for approximately 25 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and have a crispy bottom. Cook time will depend on how small the potatoes are diced.
- Once done, remove from the oven and season with salt to your taste.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.