These Healthy Asian spicy chicken lettuce wraps are packed with vibrant flavors and served in crisp lettuce leaves. These wraps are perfect as an appetizer or a light and satisfying meal. It’s such an easy recipe that it makes for the perfect weeknight meal. If you love quick snacks like these, also check out my asian turkey meatballs, or Thai sweet chili meatballs or air fryer pizza bites.
This post may contain affiliate links in which I receive a small commission.
Like most people, I love the lettuce wraps appetizers from pf chang. They are so good and delicious that I figured, why not make these at home and have more control over the nutritional value of this delicious meal. That’s how these healthy Asian spicy chicken lettuce wraps recipe came about. This recipe uses ground chicken as the star ingredient. Ground chicken is a versatile and lean protein that can be used to create a variety of delicious and healthy dishes. Coupled with a ton of veggies and topped with a spicy sauce, this one will definitely make your taste buds sing.
P.F. CHANGE ASIAN CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
Probably the most popular menu item, and they are famous for a reason. It’s a secret family recipe but it’s filled with minced chicken, garlic, scallion, sesame oil, and crispy rice sticks topped with a secret Chinese sauce. If you haven’t had them before, I highly suggest you try them if you have a p.f. chang in your area. However when looking at the nutritional value in 2 servings it packs about 330 calories, 13g fat, 33g carbs and 19g protein. Given they are served alongside iceberg lettuce, I would think these would be a lower carb option for a weeknight meal. By making this semi copycat recipe at home, you are able to significantly lower the calorie intake and reduce the carb intake to approximately 15g of carbs. Making this a much healthier alternative.
INGREDIENTS FOR SPICY CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
Outside of the main ingredient of ground chicken, this recipe calls for tons of fresh veggies and few standard asian inspired condiments. Here are the main items you will need to make this great recipe:
- Ground chicken – Breast or mixture of thighs
- Red Bell pepper – can also use mixed bell peppers
- Onion – Yellow onion or white onion
- Jalapeno – optional but adds a fruity heat
- Garlic cloves – can also use jarred diced garlic
- Fresh Ginger – chopped or grated
- Green onions – this recipe calls for just the green portion
- Cilantro – for garnish, can also substitute flat leaf parsley
- Sriracha sauce – can substitute sambal oelek
- Soy Sauce – can substitute tamari or coconut aminos
- Hoisin Sauce
- Rice Wine vinegar
- Lettuce leaves – see below for lettuce options
- sliced cucumbers – English cucumbers work well given their size
- shredded carrots – can be added to the mixture or on top for an extra crunch
- chopped peanuts – adds a nutty, salty flavor to the dish
- lime wedges – brightens the mixture with a hint of fresh citrus
HOW TO MAKE SPICY CHICKEN WRAPS
First, start by prepping all of your veggies on a large cutting board by dicing the onion, garlic, green onions, red pepper and jalapeno and cilantro and set aside.
In a large skillet or wok, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat. Once the skillet comes to temperature, add your ground chicken and break apart with a wooden spoon and brown until it is no longer pink and cooked through.Once the chicken is cooked through, drain the excess fat on a paper towel and set aside.
To the same skillet, add another tsp of sesame oil and add the chopped onions, garlic, peppers and sauté until softened. Once they begin to soften, add your chicken pieces back to the skillet and add shredded carrots.
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, and honey. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the cooked ground chicken in the skillet. Stir the chicken and sauce together until well combined and let simmer for a couple of minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the skillet from the heat and add the sliced green onions and chopped cilantro to the chicken mixture. Give it a final stir to incorporate the fresh ingredients.
HOW TO SERVE
To serve, spoon a generous amount of the ground chicken mixture onto a lettuce leaf. Top with any optional toppings you desire, such as sliced cucumber, shredded carrots, chopped peanuts, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Roll or fold the lettuce leaf to enclose the filling, creating a wrap. Repeat the process with the remaining lettuce leaves and chicken mixture.
There are several different types of lettuces you can choose to serve with this dish:
- Butter lettuce – silky soft texture with a hint of sweetness
- Bibb lettuce – tender green that has a tendency to melt in your mouth
- Romaine lettuce – tall head of sturdy dark green leaves with ribs down the center
- Iceberg lettuce – mild sweet flavor with a nice crunch
In my opinion, the best lettuce for this recipe is butter lettuce as the sweetness of the lettuce compliments the spiciness of the chicken mixture. Additionally, other alternatives to serve this dish are:
- Jasmine rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Rice noodles
CAN I MAKE THIS FOR MEAL PREP
Absolutely, this dish is actually perfect for meal prep. Once you are finished cooking the dish, allow the chicken mixture to cool and come to room temperature. In airtight containers, portion your chicken mixture evenly among the container. Next you can store the lettuce wraps either in ziplock bags in the containers or you can choose to keep them separate from the containers. These store well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Ground chicken opens up a world of culinary possibilities, and these Healthy Asian Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a testament to that. With their bold flavors and crisp lettuce wraps, they make for a satisfying and healthy meal option. Whether you’re looking for an appetizer for a party or a quick and delicious dinner, this recipe is sure to impress. Enjoy the flavorful combination of ground chicken, aromatic spices, and the freshness of lettuce, and customize the wraps with your favorite toppings.
Give this recipe a try, and let your taste buds experience the joy of these delightful Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps made with ground chicken.
Healthy Asian Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb Ground chicken
- 1/4 cup Red Bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Jalapeno diced
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated or chopped
- 1 stalk Green onion only the green
- 1 handful Cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce can substitute Tamari or Coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
Optional Toppings for Serving
- Lettuce leaves
- Carrots shredded
- Cucumber sliced
- Peanuts chopped
- First, start by prepping all of your veggies on a large cutting board by dicing the onion, garlic, green onions, red pepper and jalapeno and cilantro and set aside
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat
- Once the skillet comes to temperature, add your ground chicken and break apart with a wooden spoon and brown until it is no longer pink and cooked through
- Once the chicken is cooked through, drain the excess fat on a paper towel and set aside
- To the same skillet, add another tsp of sesame oil and add the chopped onions, garlic, peppers and sautee until softened
- Once they begin to soften, add your chicken pieces back to the skillet and add shredded carrots
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, and honey
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the cooked ground chicken in the skillet. Stir the chicken and sauce together until well combined and let simmer for a couple of minutes to allow the flavors to meld together
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the sliced green onions and chopped cilantro to the chicken mixture
- Give it a final stir to incorporate the fresh ingredients