This tasty meal prep breakfast burrito recipe will have your taste buds singing. Filled with a smoky sweet potato hash, black beans, and soft scrambled eggs, it will truly have your mouth watering. It’s perfect for busy mornings when you need to grab a quick but nutritious bite. If you like easy breakfast ideas, try these protein banana walnut muffins, meal prep egg white muffins, french toast muffins or the ultimate chorizo and egg breakfast burrito. These are all perfect for breakfast meal prep inspiration!
This post may contain affiliate links in which I receive a small commission.
There is just something about a healthy breakfast burrito that always makes my heart smile. I think it’s because it’s all of my favorite breakfast items conveniently wrapped up and easily handheld. This homemade burrito recipe is one that you’ll be looking forward to. What makes this breakfast burrito so great is that it really is versatile. While this option is vegetarian you can easily play with the combination of flavors to suit your particular tastebuds.
WHY SHOULD I MEAL PREP BREAKFAST BURRITO?
For starters, they are just darn delicious. Beyond that, these make-ahead breakfast burritos really are great for meal prep and offers great flexibility in what ingredients you use. Easily make these burritos a few days in advance and wrap them in plastic wrap or foil to store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can create some variation in the burritos by using different ingredients. Some alternative options are:
- Turkey bacon, egg, cheese
- Chicken Sausage, egg, cheese
- Hashbrowns, egg, turkey bacon
- Egg, spinach, tomato, mushroom, onions
Truly the options are only limited by your imagination!
CAN I FREEZE BREAKFAST BURRITOS?
Absolutely! These freeze amazingly well and reheat in minutes. To freeze, make your burritos and allow them to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, and to prevent freezer burn, wrap them first in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Be sure to write on the foil which type of burrito it is if you made different ones. Lastly, place them in a large freezer bag or ziplock bag for easy storage.
To defrost the frozen burrito, remove the burrito from the freezer either the night before and allow to defrost in the refrigerator. Or, you can use the defrost setting on your microwave on a microwave safe plate.
Reheating instructions are pretty simple. To reheat, place in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or until warm throughout. Alternatively, if you have an air fryer or toaster oven, that is the best way to reheat. I personally love reheating my frozen breakfast burritos in the air fryer or toaster oven on 300 degrees for 3-5 minutes as it gets the burrito nice and crispy on the outside preventing it from getting soggy.
BREAKFAST BURRITO MEAL PREP INGREDIENTS?
Normally when making a burrito traditional options are hashbrowns, bacon or sausage and eggs. I wanted to stray away from tradition and make a vegetarian breakfast burritos that’s still filling and filled with a variety of seasonings. For this recipe I used:
- Spinach Tortillas – Using a spinach wrap as the base adds some additional flavor to the overall meal. Of course you can use whole grain tortillas as well
- Sweet Potatoes – Has a sugary sweet with a hint of nuttiness
- Black Beans – Great way to add some additional protein and smokiness to this healthy breakfast burrito recipe. You can use whole beans or opt for refried beans as well
- Eggs – Different ways to prepare them but scrambled works best for this recipe. I used whole eggs, but can also use egg whites as well
- Avocado – adds a touch of creaminess
- Cheese – add your favorite shredded cheese like cheddar cheese, pepper jack, or mozzarella cheese
Of course you can always opt to add meat if you choose making a meaty burrito. If you are vegan and want to make it vegan friendly you can easily swap out the cheese and eggs for vegan versions.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH THESE HEALTHY BREAKFAST BURRITOS?
While these healthy breakfast burritos are truly a meal unto themselves, it never hurts to offer a few other bites to go along with them. If serving these burritos for your next brunch or breakfast gathering some options to consider are:
- Fruit Platter – A fresh fruit platter is always a nice addition to any brunch menu.
- Chips, Guacamole, Salsa – It is never too early, and I mean NEVER too early to serve chips, guacamole and salsa!
- Hot Sauce, Sriracha, Tabasco sauce – Some people like it spicy and these will bring the heat!
- Tater Tots – I love tater tots and they would make the perfect accompaniment to these burritos
- Side of breakfast sausage – serve these burritos with a side of breakfast sausage like turkey sausage, chicken sausage or even vegan breakfast sausage
HOW TO MAKE MEAL PREP BREAKFAST BURRITOS
These burritos are insanely easy and quick to make. So you’re thinking why do I need a recipe to toss a few ingredients in a tortilla? Well, it’s because I want these to be the best burritos you’ve ever made! To make these the best breakfast burritos ever made here are a few of my best tips:
- Prep all of your ingredients ahead of time before you even begin cooking. Roast your potatoes, dice your vegetables, crack and whisk your eggs.
- Heat and season your black beans in a saucepan over medium heat until they are nice and bubbly.
- Brown your sweet potatoes first in a pan along with some chopped onions and red bell pepper.
- Scramble your eggs on low heat to make them nice and creamy
- Assemble your burrito by adding the black beans, sweet potato hash, eggs, cheese and avocado to the warm tortilla. Wrap it up tight and brown on all sides in your pan.
While making these easy breakfast burritos it’s easier to create an assembly line on your kitchen counter that way the process goes a lot quicker when making more than 1 or 2.
If you make this meal prep burrito recipe, feel free to leave me a comment down below. Let’s stay in touch! Feel free to follow me on my social media as I share more healthy recipes, fitness workouts and motherhood. Give a follow at: Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest!
Meal Prep Breakfast Burrito
- 1 medium Sweet potato
- 1 can Black beans drained
- 4 eggs Scrambled
- 1/4 cup Cheese shredded
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 cup Red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup Red onion diced
- 4 large Spinach burrito wraps
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Roasted Sweet potato
- Pre heat oven to 350
- Wrap medium sweet potato in foil and place in a baking dish
- Roast in oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until fork tender
For Breakfast wrap
- In a small sauce pan, heat to medium heat and add your drained black beans. Season with salt and pepper
- While the black beans are cooking, remove sweet potato from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle, remove sweet potato skin and cube the potato
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil
- Once pan is heated, add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened. Once softened, add the cubed sweet potato. Season potatoes with salt, pepper and chipotle pepper seasoning. Cook until the potatoes turn crispy
- Once potatoes are crispy, remove from the heat and set aside
- Next crack your eggs in a bowl and whisk thoroughly. In the same non stick skillet scramble your eggs to desired doneness
- Once eggs are cooked, remove from pan and set aside. Turn off the heat from your black beans and now you're ready to assemble your burrito
- Place your spinach wrap on a large cutting board and add cheese, potato hash, black beans, scrambled eggs and sliced avocado
- Wrap your burrito tightly, cut in half and enjoy