Guys, it’s officially fall! That means it’s time for all things pumpkin spice, hot cocoa, and cooler weather. What better way to warm up than with this sweet, savory and slightly spicy overnight pumpkin french toast casserole recipe. It makes the ideal dish to bring the family together in the mornings.
WHY MAKE OVERNIGHT PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE?
Now that the holiday season is upon us, we want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible so we can soak up all the family and friend time. This overnight pumpkin french toast casserole is the perfect make ahead meal and you can just pop it in the oven the next morning. Ideal for all the upcoming holiday gatherings you’re sure to have.
WHAT TYPE OF BREAD DO I USE FOR THIS CASSEROLE?
I used brioche bread given it is hearty and sturdy enough to stand up to both the egg mixture and the cooking time. However some other alternatives for bread are:
- French bread
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR OVERNIGHT PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE?
I bet you probably have most of the ingredients you need to make this simple casserole. Like traditional french toast you will need:
- Milk (I use almond milk)
- Vanilla extract
Given we are in October now, you can swing by your local grocery store to pick up a can of pumpkin puree. Usually it can be found on the baking aisle.
WHAT IF I DON’T LIKE PUMPKIN?
If you’re not a big fan of pumpkin rest assured there are a few alternatives you can try instead for this recipe. The first substitute is butternut squash. Butternut squash is similar to sweet potato but has a more nutty and earthy flavor profile. Another alternative you can try is sweet potato. Just like it’s name, it will add a bit more sweetness and pare nicely with this dish.
Overnight Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- 2 loaves Brioche Bread cubed
- 1/3 cup Pumpkin puree
- 3 whole Eggs
- 1/2 cup Egg whites
- 1/4 cup Almond milk vanilla or lightly sweetened
- 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Raw sugar streusel crumble
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl add eggs, egg whites, cinnamon, almond milk, vanilla extract and pumpkin puree
- Whisk until mixture is fully incorporated
- Cube your bread and set aside
- Next spray a baking dish with spray pam and add your cubed bread. Next pour your egg mixture on top of the bread and make sure it is fully soaked
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until bread and egg mixture is firm
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes to cool
- If using optional toppings, sprinkle them over the top and serve