Mouthwatering, ooey-gooey, and dripping with flavor. These savory grilled cheese sandwiches are sure to please a crowd. They are able to stand alone as a main dish, snack or be the perfect companion to any soup. Have fun being creative with this classic childhood favorite!
Can I be honest with you guys? Growing up, there was always one dish when I asked my mom to make, I would cross my fingers behind my back and hoped she said yes. I loved grilled cheese sandwiches that much and my mom made the best grilled cheese. I don’t know if it was the cheese, butter or if it was just made with lots of love. Perhaps a combination of all three. However, as an adult I try to make healthier swaps for my childhood favorites, and this one is no different. Did you hear “healthy” and roll your eyes? I promise, if you try these you will take it all back!
HOW DO THE SAVORY GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES TASTE?
These savory grilled cheese sandwiches have the right balance of sweet and tang thanks to the mixture of mozzarella and Swiss cheese. With some add ins like turkey bacon, tomato and spinach, it only intensifies and deepens the flavor.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THESE SANDWICHES?
For starters, you need bread, cheese and butter. However, given I like to keep us on the lighter side, here are a few specific brands I’d recommend.
- Dave’s Killer Bread Thin Sliced is my preferred bread of choice. One serving comes in at 70 calories and only 13g of carbs.
- Sargento Thin Sliced Cheeses are the cheeses I used for this recipe. I used a mixture of both thin sliced baby Swiss cheese and mozzarella cheese
- Substituting spray oil instead of butter creates a lighter version
- Any add-ins you like! I used Applegate turkey bacon, wilted baby spinach and sliced roma tomatoes
ADDITIONAL MIX-INS TO TRY:
You can definitely get creative with these sandwiches and try some different toppings.
- Caramelized onions
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Low sugar jam for a dessert grilled cheese
HOW TO MAKE SAVORY GRILLED CHEESE
With just 5 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes of cook time, you will be enjoying these tasty treats in no time.
First, you will want to prep any ingredients you are using as mix-ins. Next, heat a non-stick skillet and toast one side of your bread until golden brown. Once you have all the slices toasted on one side, you are ready to build your sandwiches.
Start by layering your cheese slices on the toasted side of the bread. If you’re using mix-ins, now is the time to add them. Once you have added your additional ingredients, top with the remaining slice of cheese and bread, toasted side down. Pan fry the sandwich until the cheese is melted on both sides.
Now you are ready to enjoy your sandwich!
Savory Grilled Cheese
- 6 slices 100% whole wheat bread Dave's killer bread thin sliced
- 6 slices Mozzarella thin sliced
- 6 slices Swiss thin sliced
- Spray Pam extra virgin
Optional Mix Ins
- 2 slices Tomatoes
- 1 handful Baby Spinach
- 1 slice Turkey Bacon No nitrates or fillers
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat.
- Once pan is heated, fry off your turkey bacon (if using).
- Spray pan with spray pam and toast one side of the bread slices. Once toasted, remove from the pan.
- On the toasted side of the bread, add your cheese slices, and any additional mix ins. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side down.
- Spray your pan again and toast the sandwiches on both sides until cheese is melted.