I love a good burger, but when it’s time to lighten things up there is nothing better than a healthy turkey burger recipe. This turkey burger is so good and rich in flavors. If you enjoy non-traditional turkey burgers you may also love this BBQ turkey burger too!
Healthy turkey burgers are always a great idea when you need something quick and easy to make. These are perfect for a small friend gathering, simple weeknight meal or even for meal prep. What makes these turkey burgers so good is that even while low in calories it still packs a ton of flavor and is super juicy to boot.
HOW IS THIS A HEALTHY TURKEY BURGER RECIPE
Most traditional turkey burgers are naturally lower in calories and fat grams than its beef counterpart. An average turkey burger has approximately 215 – 275 calories per serving depending on the toppings.
With this healthy turkey burger recipe, we are able to lighten up the fat grams by using 93/7 lean ground turkey. If you want to lighten up the fat grams even further, you can opt to use 99% fat free ground turkey as well.
Additionally instead of a white bun, we swap out for one of my favorite brands whole grain buns. Again, if you’re looking to cut some additional calories and carbs you can use a thin sliced bun such as this one.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO MAKE THIS HEALTHY TURKEY BURGER RECIPE
Gather these few simple ingredients in order to make this healthier take on a weeknight burger.
We start this recipe by using a lean ground turkey. I like to use ground turkey that is 93/7 which means it is 93% lean and has 7% fat. From there, we are going to create some awesome flavors by adding:
- French onion soup mix
- Sliced onions
- Goat cheese
Of course if you aren’t a fan of goat cheese, you can substitute with any other soft cheese you do like. Some other options are:
- Blue Cheese
- Ricotta cheese
WHAT TOPPINGS SHOULD I USE
I always love to top my turkey burgers so that it compliments or brings out the flavor in the burger. Since we are using french onion soup mix as one of the seasonings, it’s only natural we use some caramelized onions to compliment that taste.
Other toppings I use for this burger are:
- Shredded lettuce
- Thick sliced tomato
And of course we are using just a smear of tangy goat cheese to bring this burger all together. However, if none of these toppings sound enticing, feel free to top how ever you like! You can swamp out the lettuce for spinach, the tomatoes slices for roasted tomatoes, skip the onions altogether. How you choose to top your burger is completely up to you!
Healthy Turkey Burger
- 1 lb Lean ground turkey 93/7
- 1 packet Onion soup mix
- 1.4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dried parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Turkey Burger Toppings
- 1 Whole Wheat Burger Buns
- 1 tbsp Goat cheese
- 1 handful Lettuce
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 1 large Onion caramelized
- Bring a non-stick skillet up to medium heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Thinly slice onions into rings and add to the skillet once heated. Slowly cook them until they start to brown and wilt down
- While onions are cooking, in a separate bowl, add your ground turkey, 1/2 packet of onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, dried parsley, salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together and form into similar size patties (should make approx. 4 patties)
- Remove your onions from the skillet and set aside
- To the same non-stick skillet, add your turkey burgers and pan fry them on both sides until cooked through
- Once Turkey burgers are cooked through, remove from the skillet and set aside
Building Your Turkey Burger
- Toast your whole wheat buns
- Add the goat cheese to both sides and spread evenly
- Next add your turkey burger and additional toppings: lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions
- Top with the other half of the bun and enjoy!