This Qdoba chicken recipe is perfect for when you’re in the mood for a delicious Mexican meal. With tender chicken, zesty spices, and a variety of toppings, this dish is sure to satisfy. If you like easy flavorful chicken dishes, try my 5 ingredient lemon chicken or air fryer boneless chicken thighs.
This recipe may contain affiliate links in which I receive a small commission.
This Qdoba copycat chicken is so easy to make you are sure to fool your family into thinking it’s the real deal. It’s got just enough spice to give it a kick but it is cooled down by a squeeze of fresh lime juice. When batch cooking it’s perfect for meal prep and the best part is you can serve it in a variety of ways to fit whatever mood you’re in!
QDOBA CHICKEN RECIPE
Qdoba is truly one of my favorite fast-casual restaurants given they serve my favorite style of food…Tex-Mex. Even better is that the food is really yummy. I personally love their qdoba chicken breast and often order it as chicken burrito bowls. Given eating out isn’t always convenient or healthy, I decided to recreate their delicious chicken at home. It truly is a great way to enjoy a favorite fast food meal anytime during the week!
CAN I MAKE THIS FOR MEAL PREP
Yes! This recipe is perfect for meal prep as it makes a large batch of chicken. Once you have made the chicken, you can easily chop the chicken into bite size pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Once you’re ready to eat, all you have to do is scoop out your portion and add the cooked chicken to your meal. It makes eating healthy during the week a breeze.
WHAT’S IN QDOBA COPYCAT RECIPE
Well for starters, chicken. I decided to use chicken thighs for this copycat recipe. Chicken thighs pack a bit more flavor and juiciness than chicken breast and is almost fail proof when cooking. The chicken comes out so moist that it will make your taste buds sing!
Here are the remaining main ingredients you will need:
- Chicken thighs (I used boneless skinless thighs)
- Adobo sauce or Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper
- Red onion
These are such simple ingredients that you can pick them up at any local grocery store or market. If for some reason chicken thighs are not your thing, you can also substitute chicken breast or chicken tenderloins. If you are a plant based eater, this recipe works really well with portobella mushrooms too.
HOW TO MAKE QDOBA CHICKEN RECIPE
Here’s how to make this easy weeknight meal at home.
First, blend all of your marinade ingredients together in a blender or food processor. I used canned adobo sauce however you can use adobo peppers in sauce and that will work just as well. Once you have blended everything together, set aside in a small bowl.
Place your chicken in a large bowl and pour the mixture over the chicken. Ensure the chicken is fully coated on all sides with the marinade. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, however you can choose to marinate these overnight for deeper flavor.
Next, heat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and spray with a high heat cooking spray. Some options I like are coconut oil or avocado oil. Next take your marinated chicken and place on the grill. Be sure to allow the meat to sear on the grill while cooking. Once the chicken lifts easily from the grill, flip and cook on the other side.
Cook the chicken for approximately 20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees and the juices run clear.
Squeeze chicken with lime wedge and top with cilantro for an added zing!
ALTERNATIVE WAYS TO COOK QDOBA COPYCAT RECIPE
If you don’t have a grill or grill pan handy, don’t fret. There are a various ways you can cook this chicken and it still taste great.
- Instant Pot – Cooking this low and slow will definitely bring out the moistness in your chicken. Cooking it this way also makes for super easy shredded chicken that can be used in your meals throughout the week.
- Baking – You can choose to bake the chicken in the oven on 375 degrees. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 160 degrees and the juices run clear.
- Pan Fry – Another fail safe method is to pan fry the chicken in a large pan on the stovetop. Heat the pan to high heat and spray with a high heat cooking oil like avocado oil. Sear the chicken on both sides until the chicken is golden brown and then lower the heat and allow the chicken to simmer until it is cooked through.
HOW TO SERVE THIS EASY RECIPE
There are several delicious ways you can choose to serve this grilled adobo chicken. It is extremely versatile to be the main star of any Tex-Mex style dish.
- Burrito bowls – I love a good burrito bowl because it’s so delicious. You can fill your rice bowl with the adobo grilled chicken, black beans, cilantro lime rice. Add some fresh ingredients for some extra flavor like: pico de gallo, corn salsa, guacamole and sour cream or plain greek yogurt.
- Fajitas – This chicken would be perfect as fajitas. Simply add some fajita veggies like red onions, bell peppers and jalapeno peppers. Serve it in a whole wheat wrap and you have a tasty hand held meal.
- Loaded Fries – Serve this chicken on top of some sweet potato fries, add some zesty queso or shredded cheese and load it up with all of your favorite toppings!
This Qdoba chicken recipe is perfect for a quick and easy dinner or a fun family night. The spices add a delicious flavor to the chicken, while the toppings let you customize each bite to your liking. Give this recipe a try tonight and enjoy a taste of Mexico in your own home!
Qdoba Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup Adobo sauce
- 1/4 slice Red onion
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- First blend all of your marinade ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Once you have blended it together, set aside.
- Place your chicken in a large bowl and pour the mixture over the chicken. Ensure the chicken is fully coated on all sides with the marinade.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes, however you can choose to marinate these overnight.
- Next, heat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and spray with a high heat cooking spray.
- Next take your marinated chicken and place on the grill. Be sure to allow the meat to sear on the grill while cooking.
- Once the chicken lifts easily from the grill, flip and cook on the other side.
- Cook the chicken for approximately 20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees and the juices run clear.
- Squeeze chicken with lime wedge for an added zing!